MEET OUR TEAM
Dr. Buhler received his Doctor of Chiropractic degree in 1978 from Western States Chiropractic College in Portland, Oregon. While attending chiropractic college he had the opportunity to work and study with the late Dr. Alan Beardall during the development of Clinical Kinesiology.
After graduation, Dr. Buhler completed a Post Doctoral Fellowship at the University of Utah School of Medicine in the physiology department, focusing on conditions of motor physiology.
Dr. Buhler served as the team sports chiropractor for the Utah Jazz professional basketball team for 26 years. In addition to being on the medical team, he has had a successful practice in Utah for the last 35 years. In June of 2002, he established the AMIT Clinic in Kaysville, Utah.
During his tenure with the Jazz, he was instrumental in creating the lowest “Player Missed Games due to Injury Rate” of any team in the NBA for 24 years and thereby establishing the effectiveness of the AMIT body of work.
This work has been validated at the elite level of athletics over the course of his expansive career. Dr. Buhler has treated world class and elite athletes, as well as the general public who testify of his special ability to assist them in improved performance and wellness. During the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, two of Dr. Buhler’s patients won medals (bronze and gold).
Dr. Buhler’s patients travel from all over the world to experience the healing benefits of this transformational work.
Dr. Buhler enjoys spending time with his six daughters, skiing, and riding horses. His passion is assisting young athletes in reaching their full potential and helping them achieve their goals.
- Graduated Viewmont High School- 1967 Honors in Track & Field, Speech & Debate
- Served in the United States Air Forces Reserves, six years, Staff Sergeant
- Attended Weber State College- 1967-1968
- Attended University of Utah – 1969-1972 on Athletic Scholarship Honors in Track & Field
- Opened Buhler Athletic Injuries Clinic 1979 with emphasis on athletic injuries and family practice
- Western State Chiropractic College 1974-1978
- Dr. Alan Beardall, Clinical Kinesiology 1976-1978
- Dr. Robert Shelton, Roseburg, Oregon 1978-1979
- Research Assistant University of Utah Dept. of Physiology 1989
- Research Fellowship University of Utah Medical School Department of Physiology 1990-1992 Focus of Motor physiology
- Research Associate, University of Utah Medical School Dept of Physiology 1992-1994
- National Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- Sports Conditions
- High performance athletic assessment and accelerated healing
- Predictive & preventative Clinical Kinesiology
- Advanced Muscle Integration Technique
- General family care
- Appointed team sports chiropractor for the NBA Utah Jazz 1980 to 2003 — Emphasis rapid healing and injury prevention
- Columnist Desert News, Salt Lake City 1981-Atheltic Injuries
- Guest lecturer, Rocky Mountain Revue Sports Medicine Conference 1996
- Guest physician 2002 Swimming Trials, Long Beach CA
- Guest lecturer 2009 Northwest Symposium
- Elected Utah State Delegate to the American Chiropractic Association 2005 thru present
- Provider to US Ski Team
- Denver Broncos 1998, 1999 Super Bowl seasons
- US Skiers 2002- present
- US Speed Skaters- present
- Australian Snowboarders 2002- present
- US Swimmers 2002
- Stanford University Women Swim Team 2002
- Professional Golfers
- Utah Jazz 2005-2007
Presentations & Instructional Courses
- Lecturer 1986 Snowbird Ski Racing Clinic Alta, Utah: “Athletic Profiling Using Manual Muscle Testing”
- Featured, The American Chiropractor Magazine, June 1988
- Lecturer Parker Resource Foundation 1988-1989, Objective muscle testing to evaluate the effectiveness of spinal manipulation using the Hoggan FET system.
- Lecturer Rocky Mountain Revue Sports Medicine Conference 1996
- Salt Lake City: ” The Role of Chiropractor for Professional Athletes”
- Guest Lecturer Winter 2000 ICAK Symposium, St. Louis: “Knee Pain”
- Guest Lecturer Parker College of Chiropractic Dallas, Texas, Feb.2001: “Muscle Function Testing as it Relates to Joint Fixation”
- Team Teacher Parker Resource Foundation: “Athletic Injuries Assessment”
- Co-presenter of Muscle Activation Techniques Salt Lake City, March 1-3 2001: “Sports Chiropractic Approach to Functional Kinesiology”
- Featured in Men’s Journal Magazine, July, 2003
- Clinical Kinesiology Seminar Park City Nov. 2003: “Muscle Testing and Therapeutics”
- Presenter Parker Resource Foundation, Las Vegas January 2004: “Congruency in Healing”
- AMIT Lower Leg Semiar, Dallas, Texas 2007: “Evaluation & Correction of Shin Splints, Osgoods-Schlatter Disease, Achilles Tendonitis, Sub-Patellar Bursitis/Tendonitis, Illiotibial Band Syndrome and Sprained Ankle.”
- AMIT Seminar, Chicago, Ill. 2008 ” Evaluation and Treatment of Conditions of the Lower Extremities”.
- AMIT Seminar, Chicago, Ill 2008 “Evaluation and Treatment of Conditions of the Low Back”.
- AMIT certification program 2009 founder & instructor.
CHP Meritorious Service Award
- Society for Neuroscience, Volume 22, 1996, P.R. Burgess*, C.F. Buhler, T.A.Cooper and L.F. Jones. Dept. Physiol., Univ. Utah Sch. Med., Salt Lake City, Utah, 84108: “The Relative Importance Of Open-Loop and Error Driven Mechanisms In Human Load Handling”
- D.C. Tracts, summer 1997, “Objective Neuro-proprioceptive Muscle Testing to define Subluxations and the Affect of Chiropractic Adjustments on Aberrant Motor Function”
- Somatosensory & Motor Research, Issue 4, vol. 19, 327-340, 2002 Burgess, P.R., Jones, L.F., Buhler, C.F., Dewald, P.A., Zhang, L.-Q. and Rymer, W.Z.: “Muscular torque generation during imposed joint rotation: torque-angle relationships when subjects’ only goal is to make a constant effort”
- Buhler, C.F., Burgess, P.R. “Changes in Motor Function During Nutritional Testing”. Journal of Scientific Exploration
Research in Progress
- “Toggle-Recoil Adjustment of the Atlas: Evidence for Decompression of Descending Motor Pathways at the Spino-Medullary Junction”
- NBA “Play Missed games due to Injury” study
- Articular neurology and tissue proprioception.
- Predictive and functional medicine.
- Accelerated healing strategies.
- Proprioceptive inhibition: predisposition to injury, poor surgical and rehabilitation outcomes.
- Evidenced based practices.
- Developing a scientific evidenced based multi-disciplinary team of physicians committed to integration of disciplines.
- Originator and developer of the Muscle Response Tester, a pnuemoelectronic instrument for quantifying muscle response during manual muscle testing.
- Co-developer of the Hoggan FET system software program for athletic profiling.
- Co-developer of the Neuro-Pro Tester, Quest Medical
Developer of AMIT Advanced Muscle Integration Technique. An integrative biomechanical and neuro-proprioceptive approach to human performance analysis and treatment, which accelerates healing and maximizes function and human performance.
PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT:
DVD training and instructional series on evaluation and treatment of Shin Splints, Osgood-Schlatter disease, Achilles Tendonitis, Patellar Tendonitis, Sub-Patellar Tendonitis, Iliotibial Band Syndrome & Sprained Ankle.
NeuroPro Muscle Tester, a wireless computerized system for the objective measurement of neuro-proprioceptive muscle response testing and data acquisition.
James Parker, D.C.
My goal is to provide targeted assessment diagnosis and therapy to patients and improve their natural function and improve their performance.
- Selected to chiropractic medical staff 2014 World Jr Championship, Eugene, OR
- Selected to medical staff of Southwest Crossfit Games June 2013-14, SLC, UT
- Selected to the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials Chiropractic Medical Team June 2012 Eugene, OR
- Current practice Sept. 2011 to present
- Internship with Dr. C. Buhler Athletic Injuries Clinic July 2011 to Sept 2011
- Campus Health Clinic @ UWS May 2010-July 2011
- Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician Training (100 Credit Hours)
- Parker Seminars Las Vegas 2013
- UCPA Fall Seminar 2012-13
- Functional Assessment and Rehabilitation with Dr. Ed Sinclair, D. C. Aug 2012
- Utah Whiplash Group Seminar Aug. 2012
- Advanced Muscle Integration Technique Certification June 2012
- NCLC March 2010 Washington D.C.
- Buchberger Shoulder Seminar Nov 2010
- UWS Symposium Aug 2010
- UWS Symposium June 2011
- NeuroMuscular Re-education Seminar 2010
- Blair Upper Cervical Primary Feb 2010, Feb 2011
- Blair Advanced Feb 2011, Oct. 2011
- Utah Chiropractic Physicians Association Conference Nov 2011
- Northridge High School, Layton UT
- Utah State University, Logan, UT (B.S. in Exercise Science) May 2001
- USAF Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, AL April 2002
- University of Western States, Portland, OR 2010 (BS in Human Biology, GPA 3.8)
- University of Western States (Chiropractic College Doctorate, GPA 3.5) Portland, OR
- Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician course 100 credit hours
- Athletic scholarship 1995-2001 to USU
- Awarded Presidential Scholarship in Fall 2008 at UWS
- Standard Process scholarship 2010
News and Research Articles
- Authored article in July ACASC Sports Talk 2012
- Current Research Project on Patellar Femoral Tendinopathy due to start 10/2014
Lecture and speaking engagements
- Clearfield High School Wrestling Team pre-season sports injury prevention lecture 2014
- Letrono Crossfit guest speaker for Fall extravaganza Oct 2012 on shoulder injury prevention
- Syracuse H.S. 2012 motivational speaker for track and field team 100+ persons
- Sahuaro H.S. (Tucson, AZ) 2005 guest motivational speaker 100+ kids and coaches
- Tri-Care conference 2004 Washington D.C. guest speaker to Department of Defense officers and medical professionals
Courtland Keteyian, M.D.
Dr. Courtland Keteyian, M.D., is a preventive medicine physician specializing in regenerative injection therapies. He primarily utilizes Prolozone, a combination of prolotherapy and ozone, to stimulate and support the body’s repair process. These injections are highly complementary to AMIT, and help the body rebuild after muscles are active and balanced. The Buhler Athletic Injuries and Human Performance Clinic provides a uniquely powerful approach to health by combining AMIT and regenerative medicine.
Dr. Keteyian’s passion for AMIT and regenerative medicine is the result of his personal health journey. Earlier in life he was a competitive runner – an 800 meter run state champion in high school and consistent performer at the division 1 level in college – but eventually had to stop running after a series of injuries. Conservative treatments were not effective, so he ultimately decided to undergo surgery with the expectation it would allow him to run again. Unfortunately, the surgery was a complete disaster, leaving Dr. Keteyian in severe pain and confined to a wheelchair. Unable to walk, Dr. Keteyian was forced to leave his chosen field of emergency medicine and explore other career options.
After several years of pain, disability, and despair, a recommendation from one of Dr. Buhler’s patients led Dr. Keteyian to seek treatment, flying from his home in Michigan to Utah. As a medical doctor, Dr. Keteyian was initially skeptical, but the results have been remarkable and life changing. Dr. Keteyian is convinced that access to AMIT earlier in life would have elevated his athletic performance and completely prevented the need for surgery, radically changing his course in life.
As a result, Dr. Keteyian committed himself to helping others avoid preventable health problems. First, he trained in preventive medicine, a specialty dedicated to promoting health and wellness in individuals and communities. Second, he pledged to span the gap between conventional and complementary medicine through quality research, maintaining affiliations with academic medical centers and growing a clinical research enterprise. Third, he studied regenerative medicine techniques so that he could partner with AMIT practitioners to deliver a new level of results.
Dr. Keteyian holds M.D., M.B.A., and M.P.H degrees from the University of Michigan, and a B.S. in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology from Yale University.
Agueda received her master’s degree of Social Work in 2004, from the University of Utah. Prior to her master’s degree, she also attended the University of Utah completing her undergraduate work in Transpersonal Therapy.
Agueda has been practicing as a clinical therapist in Salt Lake City for the past nine years, specializing in transpersonal therapy. Her education and practice has been focused on achieving and maintaining holistic balance and health. Agueda has been providing individuals with the tools necessary to realize and achieve their potential, assisting in healing emotional injuries that interfere with self actualization, fulfillment, and ultimate health.
Agueda enjoys spending time with her husband and four daughters, wake boarding, boating and being outdoors. Her passion is to assist individuals in reaching new levels of excellence.
Additional Training and Education
- NLP Practitioner – Neuro-Linguistic Programming
- EMDR- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
- Family Teaching Model
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Motivational interviewing
- Equine Therapy
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Tao Te Ching
- University of Utah- Clinical Care Coordinator
- Intermountain Health Care- Case Manager
- University of Utah EAP Therapist
- Utah Youth Village- Therapist
- Primary Children’s Medical Center – Crisis intervention
Individual, family, and couple’s therapy.
Assisting high functioning individuals with:
- Life coaching for excellency
- Life changes
- Parenting skills
- Team building strategies- Equine therapy