MEET OUR TEAM
Dr. Buhler received his Doctor of Chiropractic degree in 1978 from Western States Chiropractic College in Portland, Oregon. While attending chiropractic college he had the opportunity to work and study with the late Dr. Alan Beardall during the development of Clinical Kinesiology.
After graduation, Dr. Buhler completed a Post Doctoral Fellowship at the University of Utah School of Medicine in the physiology department, focusing on conditions of motor physiology.
Dr. Buhler served as the team sports chiropractor for the Utah Jazz professional basketball team for 26 years. In addition to being on the medical team, he has had a successful practice in Utah for the last 35 years. In June of 2002, he established the AMIT Clinic in Kaysville, Utah.
During his tenure with the Jazz, he was instrumental in creating the lowest “Player Missed Games due to Injury Rate” of any team in the NBA for 24 years and thereby establishing the effectiveness of the AMIT body of work.
This work has been validated at the elite level of athletics over the course of his expansive career. Dr. Buhler has treated world class and elite athletes, as well as the general public who testify of his special ability to assist them in improved performance and wellness. During the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, two of Dr. Buhler’s patients won medals (bronze and gold).
Dr. Buhler’s patients travel from all over the world to experience the healing benefits of this transformational work.
Dr. Buhler enjoys spending time with his six daughters, skiing, and riding horses. His passion is assisting young athletes in reaching their full potential and helping them achieve their goals.
- Graduated Viewmont High School- 1967 Honors in Track & Field, Speech & Debate
- Served in the United States Air Forces Reserves, six years, Staff Sergeant
- Attended Weber State College- 1967-1968
- Attended University of Utah – 1969-1972 on Athletic Scholarship Honors in Track & Field
- Opened Buhler Athletic Injuries Clinic 1979 with emphasis on athletic injuries and family practice
- Western State Chiropractic College 1974-1978
- Dr. Alan Beardall, Clinical Kinesiology 1976-1978
- Dr. Robert Shelton, Roseburg, Oregon 1978-1979
- Research Assistant University of Utah Dept. of Physiology 1989
- Research Fellowship University of Utah Medical School Department of Physiology 1990-1992 Focus of Motor physiology
- Research Associate, University of Utah Medical School Dept of Physiology 1992-1994
- National Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- Sports Conditions
- High performance athletic assessment and accelerated healing
- Predictive & preventative Clinical Kinesiology
- Advanced Muscle Integration Technique
- General family care
- Appointed team sports chiropractor for the NBA Utah Jazz 1980 to 2003 — Emphasis rapid healing and injury prevention
- Columnist Desert News, Salt Lake City 1981-Atheltic Injuries
- Guest lecturer, Rocky Mountain Revue Sports Medicine Conference 1996
- Guest physician 2002 Swimming Trials, Long Beach CA
- Guest lecturer 2009 Northwest Symposium
- Elected Utah State Delegate to the American Chiropractic Association 2005 thru present
- Provider to US Ski Team
- Denver Broncos 1998, 1999 Super Bowl seasons
- US Skiers 2002- present
- US Speed Skaters- present
- Australian Snowboarders 2002- present
- US Swimmers 2002
- Stanford University Women Swim Team 2002
- Professional Golfers
- Utah Jazz 2005-2007
Presentations & Instructional Courses
- Lecturer 1986 Snowbird Ski Racing Clinic Alta, Utah: “Athletic Profiling Using Manual Muscle Testing”
- Featured, The American Chiropractor Magazine, June 1988
- Lecturer Parker Resource Foundation 1988-1989, Objective muscle testing to evaluate the effectiveness of spinal manipulation using the Hoggan FET system.
- Lecturer Rocky Mountain Revue Sports Medicine Conference 1996
- Salt Lake City: ” The Role of Chiropractor for Professional Athletes”
- Guest Lecturer Winter 2000 ICAK Symposium, St. Louis: “Knee Pain”
- Guest Lecturer Parker College of Chiropractic Dallas, Texas, Feb.2001: “Muscle Function Testing as it Relates to Joint Fixation”
- Team Teacher Parker Resource Foundation: “Athletic Injuries Assessment”
- Co-presenter of Muscle Activation Techniques Salt Lake City, March 1-3 2001: “Sports Chiropractic Approach to Functional Kinesiology”
- Featured in Men’s Journal Magazine, July, 2003
- Clinical Kinesiology Seminar Park City Nov. 2003: “Muscle Testing and Therapeutics”
- Presenter Parker Resource Foundation, Las Vegas January 2004: “Congruency in Healing”
- AMIT Lower Leg Semiar, Dallas, Texas 2007: “Evaluation & Correction of Shin Splints, Osgoods-Schlatter Disease, Achilles Tendonitis, Sub-Patellar Bursitis/Tendonitis, Illiotibial Band Syndrome and Sprained Ankle.”
- AMIT Seminar, Chicago, Ill. 2008 ” Evaluation and Treatment of Conditions of the Lower Extremities”.
- AMIT Seminar, Chicago, Ill 2008 “Evaluation and Treatment of Conditions of the Low Back”.
- AMIT certification program 2009 founder & instructor.
CHP Meritorious Service Award
- Society for Neuroscience, Volume 22, 1996, P.R. Burgess*, C.F. Buhler, T.A.Cooper and L.F. Jones. Dept. Physiol., Univ. Utah Sch. Med., Salt Lake City, Utah, 84108: “The Relative Importance Of Open-Loop and Error Driven Mechanisms In Human Load Handling”
- D.C. Tracts, summer 1997, “Objective Neuro-proprioceptive Muscle Testing to define Subluxations and the Affect of Chiropractic Adjustments on Aberrant Motor Function”
- Somatosensory & Motor Research, Issue 4, vol. 19, 327-340, 2002 Burgess, P.R., Jones, L.F., Buhler, C.F., Dewald, P.A., Zhang, L.-Q. and Rymer, W.Z.: “Muscular torque generation during imposed joint rotation: torque-angle relationships when subjects’ only goal is to make a constant effort”
- Buhler, C.F., Burgess, P.R. “Changes in Motor Function During Nutritional Testing”. Journal of Scientific Exploration
Research in Progress
- “Toggle-Recoil Adjustment of the Atlas: Evidence for Decompression of Descending Motor Pathways at the Spino-Medullary Junction”
- NBA “Play Missed games due to Injury” study
- Articular neurology and tissue proprioception.
- Predictive and functional medicine.
- Accelerated healing strategies.
- Proprioceptive inhibition: predisposition to injury, poor surgical and rehabilitation outcomes.
- Evidenced based practices.
- Developing a scientific evidenced based multi-disciplinary team of physicians committed to integration of disciplines.
- Originator and developer of the Muscle Response Tester, a pnuemoelectronic instrument for quantifying muscle response during manual muscle testing.
- Co-developer of the Hoggan FET system software program for athletic profiling.
- Co-developer of the Neuro-Pro Tester, Quest Medical
Developer of AMIT Advanced Muscle Integration Technique. An integrative biomechanical and neuro-proprioceptive approach to human performance analysis and treatment, which accelerates healing and maximizes function and human performance.
PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT:
DVD training and instructional series on evaluation and treatment of Shin Splints, Osgood-Schlatter disease, Achilles Tendonitis, Patellar Tendonitis, Sub-Patellar Tendonitis, Iliotibial Band Syndrome & Sprained Ankle.
NeuroPro Muscle Tester, a wireless computerized system for the objective measurement of neuro-proprioceptive muscle response testing and data acquisition.
James Parker, D.C.
Dr Parker has been a trained AMIT specialist since 2011 when he first discovered what Dr Buhler was doing. As an old broken down athlete (2004 Olympic team member) Dr Parker had a lot of accumulated injuries that kept him feeling old and broken down, he even had retired early from his event of hammer throw due to an injury that no one could fix. After experiencing AMIT for the first time Dr Parker was sold. This was the answer that could have fixed him existed! Now his mission is to keep others active and free from pain and disability. By fixing others he feels like he is healing his old self.
Dr Parker graduated from University of Western States Chiropractic Doctorate Program in 2011 after 6 years active duty in the US Air Force where he served as an officer. He has always been passionate about the body, physical activity and unique ways to heal quickly. He graduated from Utah State University in 2001 with a bachelors in Exercise Science. He was an accomplished collegiate athlete and is a member of the USU athletics Hall of Fame. He is known as USU’s most decorated athlete with 9 All-American honors earned while competing there. As a post collegiate athlete he was 3 time US Champion in the hammer throw and earned a spot on the US Olympic Team in 2004. He continues to be involved with athletic from a medical and coaching perspective. Dr Parker has coached Paralympic Gold Medalist David Blair in the discus throw and helps local jr high and high school athletes from around the Utah area in technical help with throwing events. He also travels with Team USA in track and field around the world as one of their chiropractors. In this capacity he gets to work with some of the best athletes in the world.
Dr Parker met and married his wife while at USU and she has been the biggest reason he has been able to be so successful in multiple areas of life. They have 6 children and love family time traveling, camping, hiking the Utah Mountains as well as countless hours at practices, games and band concerts. Balancing family life and professional life is always a challenge however keeping a happy family equals excellence in delivery of care at the clinic.
Medical staff 2018 World Indoor Championships USA Track & Field, Birmingham England
- Medal total 18 medals for Team USA
- Medical Staff 2017 World Championship USA Track & Field London England
- Medal total 30 medals for TeamUSA
- BYU Basketball Team 2015-18 Medical Staff
- Medical Staff Prefontaine Elite Classic USATF, Eugene OR 2017
- Medical Staff USATF NACAC U23 Team El Salvador 2016
- Medical Staff USATF Tucson Elite Meet University of Arizona
- Medical Staff US Olympic Trials 2016
- Selected to medical team Jr. World Championships July 2014 Eugene, OR
- Selected to medical staff of Southwest CrossFit Games June 2013/2014, SLC, UT
- Selected to the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials Chiropractic Medical Team June 2012 Eugene, OR
- Current Sports Injury practice Sept. 2011 to present
- Internship with Dr. C. Buhler Athletic Injuries Clinic July 2001 to Sept 2011
- Campus Health Clinic @ UWS May 2010-July 2011
- ACA Sports Council Symposium Denver 2017
- FICS member
- ACASC member
- Jason West Seminars 2016
- Parker Seminars 2015, 2016, 2017
- UCPA Fall Seminar 2013
- Parker Seminars Las Vegas 2013
- UCPA Fall Seminar 2012, 2013
- Functional Assessment and Rehabilitation with Dr. Ed Sinclair, D. C. Aug 2012
- Utah Whiplash Group Seminar Aug. 2012
- Advanced Muscle Integration Technique Certification June 2012
- NCLC March 2010 Washington D.C.
- Buchberger Shoulder Seminar Nov 2010
- UWS Symposium Aug 2010
- UWS Symposium June 2011
- Neuro-Muscular Re-education Seminar 2010
- Blair Upper Cervical Primary Feb 2010, Feb 2011
- Blair Advanced Feb 2011, Oct. 2011
- Utah Chiropractic Physicians Association Conference Nov 2011
- Coach to Paralympic 2016 USA Gold Medalist and WR holder David Blair, Discus throw
- USOC 2016 Developmental Coach of the Year Award
- OLY designation conferred from World Olympians Association
- 2015 Paralympic Throws Camp coach Chula Vista OTC
- 2004 Olympic Team Member Track and Field, event-hammer throw
- USU Athletic Hall of Fame inductee 2012
- Member American Chiropractic Association (ACA)
- Member American Chiropractic Association Sports Council member (ACASC)
- Member Utah Chiropractic Physicians Association (UCPA)
- Served a religious mission to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 1995-1997 (fluent in Portuguese)
- Volunteer Throws Coach @ NHS 2011-present
- Assistant throws coach Concordia University, Portland, OR 2009-present
- Eagle Scout 1994
- Assistant Scout Master 2005-present
- Volunteer Assistant Track Coach Northridge H.S. 2012-13
- Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician course 100 credit hours
- University of Western States (Chiropractic College Doctorate, GPA 3.5) Portland, OR
- University of Western States, Portland, OR 2010 (BS in Human Biology, GPA 3.8)
- Utah State University, Logan, UT (B.S. in Exercise Science) May 2001
- USAF Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, AL April 2002
- Northridge High School, Layton UT
- Athletic scholarship 1995-2001 to USU
- Awarded Presidential Scholarship in Fall 2008 at UWS
- Standard Process scholarship 2010
News and Research Articles
- Authored article in July ACASC Sports Talk 2012
- Current Research Project on Patellar Femoral Tendinopathy due to start 10/2014
Lecture and speaking engagements
- Clearfield High School Wrestling Team pre-season sports injury prevention lecture 2014
- Letrono Crossfit guest speaker for Fall extravaganza Oct 2012 on shoulder injury prevention
- Syracuse H.S. 2012 motivational speaker for track and field team 100+ persons
- Sahuaro H.S. (Tucson, AZ) 2005 guest motivational speaker 100+ kids and coaches
- Tri-Care conference 2004 Washington D.C. guest speaker to Department of Defense officers and medical professionals
GARRETT NEFF, DC, CSCS
Dr. Garrett Neff’s passion for the human body focuses on functional neurology and biomechanics. In other words, the body’s neurological ability to move, heal, and optimize itself to the best of its ability.
Utilizing the AMIT Method (Advanced Muscle Integration Technique) and FNOR Method (Functional Neuro-Orthopedic Rehabilitation), Dr. Neff strives to identify and treat chronic pain and acute injuries. Whether you’re a professional athlete or just worried about crawling on the floor and playing with your children, his methods will help you reach your goals.
Dr. Neff received his B.S. Degree in Kinesiology and Pre-Medical Science from the University of Hawaii at Manoa in 2007. He later graduated from Palmer College of Chiropractic West in 2010. His primary focus during his education was on sports injuries, functional movement patterns, and rehabilitation. In 2010 he was invited to work as a Team Chiropractor in Calgary, AB, with the National Canadian Freestyle Ski Team and Canadian Speed Skating Team.
In 2012 he moved to Boulder, Colorado, to own and operate a practice that focused on the everyday active family. His practice was the Truebility Performance Clinic, where he put together an incredible team of chiropractors, physical therapists, massage therapists, and movement specialists. During his Colorado time, he spent two seasons as Team Chiropractor for the Colorado Rapids Major League Soccer Team, Clinical Chiropractor at Kaiser Permanente Hospital, and provided care for several athletic events in the area.
In June of 2018, Dr. Neff and his lovely wife Brittney moved to Utah to help the AMIT team open their second clinic location. They have fallen in love living in Utah and enjoy camping, biking, snowboarding, and pretty much anything outdoors. They also both share a passion for the healing arts; it’s only a matter of time before Dr. Neff starts bragging about his wife and their three dogs.
- Truebility Performance Clinic – Boulder, CO – Owned 2012-2018
- ProjectMOVE & Rocktape Headquarters – Chiropractor & Mobility Coach – 2014-2015
- Kaiser Permanente Hospital – Clinical Chiropractor – 2014
- Colorado Rapids Major League Soccer – 2014-2016
- National Canadian Freestyle Ski – Team Chiropractor – 2010-2011
National Canadian Speed Skating – Team Chiropractor – 2010-2011
- World Cup Freestyle Ski Competition – Calgary, AB, in 2010 and 2011
- Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon – 2008, 2009, 2010
- National Senior Games – 2009
- Sea Otter Classic – 2008, 2009, 2010
- North Face Endurance Challenge – 2007, 2008
- B.S. Degree in Kinesiology and Pre-Medical Science from the University of Hawaii at Manoa in 2007
- Graduate from Palmer College of Chiropractic West in 2010
- Functional Neuro-Orthopedic Rehabilitation (FNOR) – 2016
- Advanced Muscle Integration Technique (AMIT) – 2013
- Evidence-Based Fitness Academy – Master Instructor in Barefoot Science – 2015
- Rocktape Fascial Movement Taping – Level I, II – 2008, 2014
- Rocktape Performance Taping – 2014
- CrossFit Level 1 Trainer – 2014
- Class IV Laser Therapy – 2014
- NSCA Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) – 2012
- Active Release Technique Certified (2007-2011)
- Graston Technique – 2007
- NASM – Corrective Exercise Specialist (CES) – 2006
- Athletic scholarship 1995-2001 to USU
- Awarded Presidential Scholarship in Fall 2008 at UWS
- Standard Process scholarship 2010
Courtland Keteyian, M.D.
Dr. Courtland Keteyian, M.D., is a preventive medicine physician specializing in regenerative injection therapies. He primarily utilizes Prolozone, a combination of prolotherapy and ozone, to stimulate and support the body’s repair process. These injections are highly complementary to AMIT, and help the body rebuild after muscles are active and balanced. The Buhler Athletic Injuries and Human Performance Clinic provides a uniquely powerful approach to health by combining AMIT and regenerative medicine.
Dr. Keteyian’s passion for AMIT and regenerative medicine is the result of his personal health journey. Earlier in life he was a competitive runner – an 800 meter run state champion in high school and consistent performer at the division 1 level in college – but eventually had to stop running after a series of injuries. Conservative treatments were not effective, so he ultimately decided to undergo surgery with the expectation it would allow him to run again. Unfortunately, the surgery was a complete disaster, leaving Dr. Keteyian in severe pain and confined to a wheelchair. Unable to walk, Dr. Keteyian was forced to leave his chosen field of emergency medicine and explore other career options.
After several years of pain, disability, and despair, a recommendation from one of Dr. Buhler’s patients led Dr. Keteyian to seek treatment, flying from his home in Michigan to Utah. As a medical doctor, Dr. Keteyian was initially skeptical, but the results have been remarkable and life changing. Dr. Keteyian is convinced that access to AMIT earlier in life would have elevated his athletic performance and completely prevented the need for surgery, radically changing his course in life.
As a result, Dr. Keteyian committed himself to helping others avoid preventable health problems. First, he trained in preventive medicine, a specialty dedicated to promoting health and wellness in individuals and communities. Second, he pledged to span the gap between conventional and complementary medicine through quality research, maintaining affiliations with academic medical centers and growing a clinical research enterprise. Third, he studied regenerative medicine techniques so that he could partner with AMIT practitioners to deliver a new level of results.
Dr. Keteyian holds M.D., M.B.A., and M.P.H degrees from the University of Michigan, and a B.S. in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology from Yale University.